[Buddha-l] RE: seeking the Pali and Sanskrit term for "holy/ religious/, sacred objects"

Kate marshallarts at bigpond.com
Wed Nov 2 14:52:34 MST 2005

>."..... Well, hmm,  I don't notice any real benefits from stupas & relics
myself ......."<

Hi Sally,

I don't know how other Buddhist sects view stupas but to Chen Yen (and
possibly all mikkyo schools), the stupa has great significance.  Each shape
that comprises the stupa is a mandala which symbolizes certain universal
Buddhist values and teachings, or human qualities.  Each mandala of the
stupa interconnects with the others to form a mandala of totality which is
represented by the stupa as a whole.  Viewed from the side, the stupa is a
3-D mandala.  If you could view it from directly above, it would appear as a
2-D mandala.

In the same way that a "seed syllable" taken from a full incantation can
contain the essence of the whole ritual, the stupa can be viewed as a visual
"seed" which brings to mind the whole teaching that is embodied within the
stupa.

>...."BTW, Any other southern hemisphereans on the list?...".<

Yes, I'm right next door to you in Australia.

Regards
Kate