[Buddha-l] Lankavatara Sutra dissertation and translation

Petr Mares niraya at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 01:39:28 MST 2005

Hello

Can anybody help with finding two recent works on Lankavatara?

One is dissertation of Dr. A.D.Forsten: Buddhology and the philosophical question of understanding: a study of "sva-citta-drsya-matra" in the 2nd chapter of the "Lankavatarasutra".

http://www.onderzoekinformatie.nl/en/oi/nod/onderzoek/OND1262469/

I wrote to the secretary of the Department of Languages and Cultures of South and Central Asia in Leiden but they said they do not have a copy and do not know how to obtain it. I tried to send email to the dissertation superviser prof. Oudeman in Leiden, but got no response. I also tried to contact Dr. Forsten through his email address and I sent letter to his postal address in Holland - probably he had changed his address as I got no response from either.
Can anybody help in obtaining this dissertation?

Other question related to Lankavatara is about Prof. Akira Suganuma. I have been told he translated Lankavatara of Bodhiruci from Chinese into English and has not published it. Does anybody know whether that translation can be obtained or whether it is possible to contact directly prof. Akira Suganuma and ask him for the copy?

Last question is whether anybody know of any other recent study/work/disserations/commentaries in any way related to Lankavatara Sutra? (All I know of recent titles is the four dissertations obtainable through UMI i.e. Sutton, Auden, Garcia and Kim) - and partial translation from the Vaidya edition by Anzan Hoshin) .Pointing to any other would be highly appreciated.

Thank You

Cordially

Petr Mares