[Buddha-l] Buddhism & American Christianity

Bruce G. Seidner Ph.D. bseidner at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 10 09:42:22 MST 2005

There was the brouhaha in the mid 90's around the Pope's
characterization of Buddhism as nihilistic and the mea culpa
conference that invited Buddhist representatives to rework the
Vatican's statement and characterization of Buddhism. I never saw the
finished statement. But this likely changed little in the church.
Especially now, with Pope Benedict in place. I can't imagine any
doctrinal influences. (Though, if you look really closely at
photographs from the Vatican II Council, you can just make out the
image of Manjushri above the head of Pope John.)

I attended a Jesuit college for a couple years as an undergraduate
and a number of my Jesuit professors where avid students of Zen. More
substantive is the example of Merton and the reinvigoration of the
contemplative traditions in Christianity. There are delightful
anecdotes in his Asian Journal and more formal expression in his
other written work, if memory serves. We have a number of Christian
folks of sundry stripes in Knoxville who travel up to Gethsemani
Abbey in Kentucky for retreats. I know of a Catholic priest who leads
"centering meditation/prayer" groups in Knoxville.

Maybe there are "practice" shifts that could be documented. The
"centering meditation" folks talk explicitly of Buddhist influence.

Bruce

At 10:11 AM 11/10/2005, you wrote:

>Dear Friends & Colleagues,
>
>    One of my students (displaced by Hurricane Katrina) is trying to
> write a senior thesis on the influence of Buddhism on modern
> American Christianity. I had pointed her in the direction of
> sources on Buddhist-Christian dialogue, but she (rightly) seeks
> more. If anyone can supply me with sources I would greatly
> appreciate it.  Her exact words are pasted below.
>
>best,
>Tim Cahill
>

>--------------------
>I'm having difficulty finding anything that really addresses my topic (how
>Buddhism has affected modern American Christianity).  I have tons of
>resources for interreligious dialogue between Christians and Buddhists:
>finding similarities and differences, but nothing that actually addresses
>how/if Christianity has changed due to these new currents.  I want to
>address the Vatican II Council, but I have no interest in arguing that the
>conclusions and statements of that council where chiefly due to Christian
>encounters with Buddhism.

Bruce G. Seidner, Ph.D.                                 1111 Northshore Drive
Clinical & Forensic Psychology                                  Ste S-490
Family
Mediation                                                Knoxville, TN 37919

865.584.0171 office
865.584.0174 fax
bseidner at earthlink.net

The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual
and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination
or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please contact the sender
and delete the material from any computer.