[Buddha-l] Critiques of Buddhism

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Nov 11 11:32:06 MST 2005

A couple of people have asked about my references to on-line critiques
of Buddhism on American Christian websites. I have several items printed
out on my desk at work, but I'm at home now. I'll supply the references
later. Meanwhile, here are some non-American and not necessarily
Christian sites that have some criticisms of Buddhism (or a straw man
version thereof):

www.preachtheword.cp.uk/transcripts/cults08.html is the eighth item in a
series on "dangerous Satanic cults" that have invaded the Christian
world.

www.vexen.co.uk/religion/buddhism_criticism.html has some positive
things to say about some Buddhist teachings but criticizes the Buddhist
religion as a whole for smothering the Buddha's insight in a mystifying
confusion of rituals and obfuscations. (Gosh, that sounds like something
I might have written! But I didn't.)

If you are interested in going to a Buddhist site that singles out some
allegedly pseudo-Buddhist cults for condemnation in no uncertain terms,
take a look at www.buddhistcouncil.org/cults.htm for spirited
denunciations of Falun Gong, Aum Shinrikyo, Soka Gakkai and NKT. (Often
sites that decry SGI and NKT also denounce the FWBO, but they seem to
have escaped the attention of this particular Buddhist Council.)

I'll send other references early next week.

--
Richard Hayes
_____