[Buddha-l] Critiques of Buddhism

Chan Fu chanfu at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 17:48:39 MST 2005

On 11/14/05, Richard P. Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 11:32 -0700, Richard P. Hayes wrote:
>
> > I'll send other references early next week.
>
> The New Catholic Encyclopedia (http://www.advent.org) has an article on
> Buddhism that they say was written in 1910. (Right up to date, that.)
> They recommend reading the article and then doing a prayerful reading of
> the document "Nostra aetate" from the Second Vatican Council. (There is
> a short paragraph on Buddhism there, along with the claim that the
> Catholic Church "condemns nothing that is true" in the teachings of the
> Buddha. Although rather short on specific details about what may be true
> in Buddhism, the document does say that Buddhism acknowledges the
> inadequacy of the world and of the Republican party. (Maybe part of that
> was just a fantasy on my part.)

That whole thing is quite a hoot, actually...

> I had several references to Buddhism in various evangelical web sites,
> but I can't find most of them now. It's probably just as well. They
> weren't very accurate. The only one I can find is
> http://www.christiananswers.net/evangelism/beliefs/buddhism.html. This
> handy site tells earnest evangelical Christians how to go about
> converting Buddhists.
>
> Probably one of the strangest web sites on someone's idea of Buddhism I
> have found recently is http://www.attan.com/ , which sports the largest
> collection of swastikas I have found on any one page. It might be a
> little difficult to spend more than three minutes looking at that site
> without becoming mentally ill.

Or just laughing your ass off...
Kenny Wheeler has been a fixture on the public buddhist ng's
for years, though recently silent. His principle assertion
is that buddhist scripture (properly interpreted)  affirms
the existence of "soul". His neo-naziism seems secondary...

Possibly of interest (though possibly not):

http://www.jstor.org/journals/08820945.html
http://www.cssr.org/soc_sbcs.htm
http://home.btclick.com/scimah/argumentsagainstbuddhism.htm
http://contenderministries.org/buddhism.php