[Buddha-l] Critiques of Buddhism

Richard P Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Nov 14 20:31:53 MST 2005

Chan Fu wrote:

>Or just laughing your ass off...
>Kenny Wheeler has been a fixture on the public buddhist ng's
>for years,

Is this the jazz trumpeter born in Toronto?

I used to hang out on buddhist news groups some years ago, but I
couldn't stand the weather. More recently I tried hanging out with
Unitarian Buddhists, but that was like trying to get nourishment by
sucking on New Mexican sandstone.

> though recently silent. His principle assertion
>is that buddhist scripture (properly interpreted)  affirms
>the existence of "soul".

So I gathered from the web site. I have no problem with soul talk. It
doesn't seem incompatible in the least with anything I know about
Buddhism. My only allergy is to people who think they have a monopoly
on proper interpretation of Buddhist scripture. They remind me too much
of Republicans, I guess.

--
Richard