[Buddha-l] Re: Attan.com

Joel Tatelman tatelman at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 15 16:48:03 MST 2005

It's perhaps worth recalling that C.A.F. Rhys Davids, who did so much
valuable philological and translation work in Pali, published, in her
later years, a book dedicated to arguing for the reality and centrality
of the soul in "original" Buddhist thought. Her opinion, too, was that
later monk-dominated, ecclesiastical Buddhism "reified" the
anatman/anatta doctrine and made it into the "no-soul" doctrine. I
believe that a scholar by the name of Bhattacarya published a rather
more scholarly book on this topic; I think it was in the late 1960s.

So, yeah, there's a history--not to mention the Pudgalavadins, whatever
one may think of them--of people "within Buddhism" having trouble with
the anatman doctrine.

Cheers,

Joel Tatelman.