[Buddha-l] Re: Attan.com

Bruce Burrill brburl at mailbag.com
Wed Nov 16 00:19:29 MST 2005

"The attan is the highest refuge to which I have gone. It is for me
the light, the sanctuary, that highest end, goal and destiny. It is
immeasurable, matchless, that which I really am, the very treasure
[which I sought]; it is like my very breath, this vital animator." -
Khuddaka Nikaya, Jatakapali 1441

This is Ken Wheeler's "translation," show a text that talks about the
truly true self.

And here is the passage in context with an appropriate tranlation

Then the king bade Punnaka to claim his prize with the following
verse: "Elephants, oxen, horses, jewels and earrings, whatever gems I
have in the earth. Take the best of wealth, 0 Kaccana, take it and go
where you wish."

Punnaka answered: "Elephants, oxen, horses, jewels and earrings,
whatever gems thou hast in the earth, Vidhura the minister is the
best of them all. He has been won by me, pay him down to me."

[1441] "He is my minister, my refuge and help, my shelter, my
fortress and my defense," replied the king. "That minister of mine is
not to be weighed against wealth. That minister of mine is like unto my life."

Punnaka answered: "To avoid a long contest between you and I, let us
go to the sage and ask him what he wishes. Let him decide this matter
between us, and allow what he determines to be the judgment of us both."

This is typical of Wheeler's "translations."

Wheeler takes stuff out of context and has no understand of Pali grammar.