[Buddha-l] Re: Christian meditation and eastern symbolism

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Thu Nov 17 03:29:33 MST 2005

Michael J. Wilson wrote:

> I think that "danger to avoid" would be similiar to the experience told
> by a Tibetan teacher of the deeply meditating student (probably himself
> on the Lam Rim stages of the path)  who would suddenly out of samadhi
> bring a hand out and grab onto their arm over the sleeve of their robe
> just to see if their body was still there!  It is the fear of losing
> that notion of our sense of self to which we cling out of ignorance of
> experiencing the state of non-being: mahamudra.

In fact the "danger to avoid" I refered to was the "danger of falling
into syncretism" (These and similar proposals to harmonize Christian
meditation with eastern techniques need to have their contents and
methods ever subjected to a thorough-going examination so as to avoid
the danger of falling into syncretism.).

Switching states (passivity => activity) often requires readjustment
which can come with temporal loss of equilibrium. I don't know whether
this can imply danger or whether it is dangerous.