[Buddha-l] Re: Christian meditation and eastern symbolism

Michael J. Wilson michaeljameswilson at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 18 21:50:28 MST 2005

              Michael J. wrote:

> I have no argument with syncretism so I guess I would argue with the
> new pontiff. I have nothing to defend. Once having been a student
> of anthropology and religion I studied religions paradoxically to
> become a better aetheist and a better devotee. Religions are
> all different variations of the same quest

Man's need to associate around a set of ideas and to create metafamilies?

> - there is no denying a
> mystical inner force in the universe - unbroken wholeness. We glean
> as much in dim light ! of our silent prayer - we were breathing.

I don't know about a (unique, is that what you were thinking of?) inner
force in the universe, possible, but I consider silence as a mystical
inner force in myself.

Joy

  Joy, is meditation in silence possible - beyond the artifices of music, speech, and thought? Do we need to retreat to the monastery to find it? If we try to control or master the mind to find that place of emptiness, are we not exerting a force, pushing the mind to work, to cause brain wave interference patterns that disturb the calm water of our potential stillness?  What good are dreams? They only wake us out of silence! How can we even begin to understand the silence before the dreams began? "A seeker of silence am I" Khahil Gibran.  There may be no science of silence.

  Yes I believe in a "unique au monde" inner spiritual voice that unites us all impersonally -as a way that cannot be named - one cosmic breath that bespeaks us to follow most unwittingly, a path mapped out by gurus, mystics, priests, potentiates, charlattans, marchbanks, fools, saints, poets, theosophists and lamas - all on blind trust.  Elephants in the dark.

  michael j wilson