[Buddha-l] Sanskrit speaking Buddha

James Ward jamesward at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 20 03:38:25 MST 2005

Dear Piya,

I'm glad the links were of some help.  (I should have mentioned that
the Mahavastu file is about 2 megabytes, so that some could be
forewarned.)

The Catusparisatsutra seems to _almost_ be online -- see the "Sanskrit
Buddhist Canon Input" section of the website of the Nagarjuna Institute
of Exact Methods

http://www.nagarjunainstitute.com/

In the subsection entitled "Completed Inputs" this sutra is listed, but
it is not yet available in the subsection "Sutra Titles."  Perhaps you
could write to them and they could send you a copy before it is posted
on the website, or at least give you an idea of when they plan to make
it available.

Other than that, I stole the following information from the HOLLIS
catalogue.  You can see that Prof. Waldschmidt deals with Sanskrit,
Tibetan, Pali and a translation of the Chinese.  I think I will try to
obtain this through interlibrary loan (thanks for the idea!), so let me
know if you have difficulties finding it or the electronic copy above,
and maybe I can send it, assuming it is available (and depending on how
large it is!  but the Sanskrit text alone should be short enough,
regardless).

Title :
Das Catuṣpariṣatsūtra; eine kanonische Lehrschrift über die Begründung
der buddhistischen Gemeinde. Text in Sanskrit und Tibetisch, verglichen
mit dem Pāli nebst einer Übersetzung der chinesischen Entsprechung im
Vinaya der Mūlasvāstivādins, auf Grund von Turfan-Handschriften hrsg.
und bearb. von Ernst Waldschmidt.

Published :
Berlin, Akademie-Verlag, 1952-

Description :
v. 30cm.

Series :
Abhandlungen der Deutschen Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Berlin,
Klasse für Sprachen, Literatur und Kunst, Jahrg. 1952, Nr.2

Contents :
T. 1. Der Sanskrit-Text im handschriftlichen Befund. T.2-3.
Textbearbeitung: Vorgang, 1-28

Best wishes,

James Ward