[Buddha-l] The process of death

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sun Nov 20 19:12:54 MST 2005

In the chapter on "The Abhidharma" Rupert Gethin deals with this in his
"Foundations of Buddhism" - specifically in the subsection on "The
consciousness process, karma and rebirth". Here's what he says, in part
(on p. 217):

"The Tibetan belief in the bar-do or "in between state" (antaraa-bhava)
is inhererited from the Sarvaastivadin Abhidharma and is associated with
the elaborate practices of the Bar-do Thos-grol, the so-called Tibetan
Book of the Dead. This notion of the "in between state" was a subject of
dispute among ancient Indian schools of the Buddhism: the Theravadins
denied that it was coherent from an Abhidhamra perspective, since an
in-between existence must be another kind of existence."

Gethin places the discussion of the "in-between state" in the context of
two other issues: (1) the Bhavanga, or state of mind a being is born
with, and (2) the importance of a being's state of mind at the time of
death.

I know that the idea of the "in-between state" is not limited to Tantric
Buddhism - in Korean Buddhism it is traditional to perform a "49-day
Ceremony" 49 days after a person dies, because that is believed to be
the end of the "in-between state" and the beginning of their new
lifetime. During the 49 day ceremony relatives and loved ones might pray
to "Ji Jang Bosal" (the Korean version of Kshitigarbha Bodhisattva).

- Curt