[Buddha-l] Lance's Remarks on Attan.com

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 21 03:13:22 MST 2005

Brad,

If we are talking about the Pali Canon as a whole, then we can
certainly distinguish some late material:

the latest material:

 From the Khuddakanikaaya, the Apadaana, Buddhava.msa and
Cariyaapi.taka - three works which the commentaries tell us were not
accepted by all.
 From the Vinaya, the Parivaara.
 From the Abhidhamma, the last additions to the Kathaavatthu.

It is hard to give these an absolute (as opposed to a relative)
dating. It is clear that they belong somewhere in the period from the
second century B.C. to the second century A.D. I personally would
think of around the first century B.C. but my views could easily
change if we got some solid evidence !

the later material:
 From the Khuddakanikaaya, Petavatthu and Vimaanavatthu
 From the Abhidhamma, Pa.t.thaana and Yamaka, much or all of the rest
of the Kathaavatthu
 From the Vinaya, the Khandhakas

The Niddesa and Pa.tisambhidaamagga (date very disputed) presumably
belong to one of these two periods.

Scholarship certainly (for me) convincingly separates out these as
later strata. I am not myself convinced that we can separate out
layers in the remaining period. Many scholars think they can. Part of
the problem is that we do not know what was there before the Buddha
and we know particularly little of the situation in Eastern India
before the Mauryan period.

Much of what I said before in my summary was derived as much from
conversations with different scholars at conferences and elsewhere as
from published material. European scholars who have recently proposed
different kinds of laying would include Lambert Schmithausen, Tilman
Vetter, Johannes Bronkhorst, Konrad Meisig and Richard Gombrich.
There are many incidental references in monographs and articles by
other scholars.

Does that make my position sufficiently clear ?

Lance