[Buddha-l] Buddhism and History

bclough bclough at aucegypt.edu
Mon Nov 21 09:31:14 MST 2005

> I don't know what "real politik" is. Is it treating issues in a way that
> helps as many beings as possible?

I'm not certain if you are joshing a bit here or asking a genuine question, Mike, and I don't want to assume either, so forgive me if a I give a straight answer about a word that you may know well. "Realpolitik" comes from the German for "actual politics," and I suppose it might be defined as politics based primarily on practical and material factors rather than on theoretical or ethical objectives.

You may well be right that what the Dalai Lama is trying now could turn out to be of the most benefit.

Dare I say "time will tell"???

Best,
Brad