[Buddha-l] crazy wisdom

John Whalen-Bridge ellwbj at nus.edu.sg
Mon Nov 28 18:00:22 MST 2005

I have a question for anyone familiar with Tibetan Buddhism.  Was Trungpa's "Crazy Wisdom" dharma his own invention?  Clearly one could look to the Marpa/Milarepa relationship and say, in a vague way, that there is a precededent for unorthodox teaching methods.  But in terms of drinking and smoking and having vajra guards? I'm not asking "Did it happen?" but rather, "Is such 'Crazy Wisdom', as some of Trungpa's students will claim, a respected/recognized tradition? Whether or not such methods were skillful is another matter, but I'm hoping to have a better sense of whether or not the "lineage" was, as I suspect, invented to suit 1970s Americans.

Ditto Shambala Training.

All best,  John Whalen-Bridge