[Buddha-l] crazy wisdom

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 30 14:10:00 MST 2005

Franz Metcalf schreef:

> Of course this judgment *does* express hegemony, but it's a Buddhist
> hegemony applied to Buddhist practice, and I hope even Foucault would
> have appreciated the need for that, from time to time.

I'm quite sure of it, Franz. Foucault would say that power is
productive, but he would be very interested in how normality is produced
in these different cultures and how because of that abnormality arises.
Subsequently he would try to find out how abnormality has been treated
maybe in the east and in the west. If and  how abnormality has been
marginalized  (this has certainly not been the case in Trungpa's
circles). Being a follower of Nietzsche he would advice to turn ones
life into a good example for others and stress the responsability one
has.  It is absolutely necessary to excercise power over oneself in
order to make ones life into an the best example one can give. Maybe he
would see in some of these mad yogis an example of parresia, the courage
to be sincere and speak the truth in any situation.

--

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms