[Buddha-l] crazy wisdom

Piya Tan libris at singnet.com.sg
Wed Nov 30 18:17:11 MST 2005

Eric & Byuddha-lites,

Two academic papers are especially healing readings:

(1)  Katy Butler, "Encountering he shadow in Buddhist America" (1991) In Meeting the Shadows ed J Abrams & C Zweig, 1991.
(2) Stephen Butterfield, "Accusing the Tiger" In Tricycle, Summer 1992.

I find "Prisoners of Shangri-la" very courageous and promising of a more mature Buddhism in the west and the world in general.

Also Prisoners of Shangri-La: Tibetan Buddhism and the West, reviewed by Stephen Owen, "The New Republic" 219,6 August 10, 1998:38-41.

On Sangharakshita, there is

http://www.fwbo-files.com/

There is also an update by Yashomitra (2003).  I have not kept up reading on the sociology of Buddhism, as I am currently distracted by Sutta work and comparative Buddhism.

Thanks to all scholars of Buddhism for polishing the Dharma lamp. It has never been shinier.

Sukhi

Piya