[Buddha-l] An experiment (Gender on Buddha-l)

Tom Head tom at tomhead.net
Tue Oct 11 16:18:40 MDT 2005

>First off, I want to underline that my views have been
>misrepresented by a few of the more more chauvinist members here, in
>that I do NOT promote wholesale either/or dichotomies of male vs
>female, and I am not a rampaging feminist.

Please forgive me; being a rampaging feminist myself, I make that
mistake quite often.

>In fact, I personally am somewhat androgynous in my behavioral
>preferences and views.

As am I.  I count myself a radical feminist rather than a cultural
feminist, though the latter seems to be more popular these days among
fellow rampaging feminists.

>What I am calling for in general is not stilted behavior but
>civility, that's all, just good old civility. Believe it or not, men
>are perfectly capable of being civil too. Civility is one way to
>begin being compassionate because it allows everyone into the
>charmed circle instead of the usual route here of incivility, which
>creates nastiness and dukkha.

There's an adolescent male "fight club" dynamic that seems to be
dominant on most academic listservs, but I don't see much of it here.
But I promise to look for it.

Cheers,

TH