[Buddha-l] Lin-chi Lu/Rinzai-roku

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Fri Oct 14 10:35:02 MDT 2005

Stephen Hopkins wrote:
> I'd be grateful if any Buddha-l subscriber could help me with information
> that might locate copies of an English translation of the Lin-chi Lu begun
> by Sokei-an and Ruth Sasaki, and subsequently worked on by Professor's Iriya
> and Yanagida, and, later still, by the poet Gary Snyder and Professor Hisao
> Kanaseki.  A version was reportedly published by the Institute for Zen
> Studies in 1975.
>
> I'd also be interested to learn which, if any, of the other English
> translations of the Lin-chi Lu / Rinzai-roku list members recommend.

"The Record of Lin-chi" by Ruth F. Sasaki, Institute for Zen Studies,
Kyoto, 1975.
"The Zen Teaching of Rinzai," by Irmgard Schloegl, Berkeley, Shambhala,
1976.
"Entretiens de Lin-tsi" traduit par Paul Demieville, Paris, Fayard, 1972.
"Critical Sermons of the Zen Tradition: Hisamatsu's Talks on Linji" ed.
by Christopher Ives and Tokiwa Gishin, Univ. of Hawaii, 2002.

There is also a translation by Burton Watson but my copy is not here so
I can't provide details.

Finally, you can put together another translation from fragments from D.
T. Suzuki, Training of the Zen Buddhist Monk, Essentials of Zen
Buddhism, Essays in Zen 1st, 2nd & 3rd, Living by Zen, Zen &
Psychoanalysis, Studies in Zen.

Add to that Charles Luk, Ch'an and Zen Teaching.
Chang Chung-yuan, Original Teachings of Ch'an Buddhism.
Chang, The Practice of Zen
R. H. Blyth, Zen & Zen Classics, vol. 5

I hope that helps.
Bob Zeuschner