[Buddha-l] recommendations for books on Madhyamika

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Oct 17 09:18:55 MDT 2005

Either Gethin's or Williams introductory texts on Buddhism will give you
a good starting point (but they aren't exactly for "idiots"). Peter
Harvey's introductory book does not deal with Madhyamika in as much
detail as those other two. Williams' probably does the best job on
Madhyamika and Yogacara. Williams also has a separate book just on
"Mahayana Buddhism" - but I have only read the first few chapters of
that - I haven't gotten up to Madhyamika yet. As far as Zen goes, Zen
has an annoying anti-intellectual streak in it - a bug up its arse,
really. This anti-intellectualism is not "inherhent" in Zen at all.
Bodhidharma brought the Lankavatara Sutra with him from India, and his
personal copy of that sutra came to be considered, along with his robe
and bowl, something like the "Excalibur" of Zen - whoever "possessed" it
was top-dog. But they all - robe, bowl and book, eventually fade out of
the "transmission stories". Anyway - the Lankavatara is considered a
"Yogacara" influenced Sutra. My point is: don't bother going around
saying to Zen folks, "so Zen is connected with Madhamika?" - you'll
either get blank stares or you'll be criticized for "thinking" too much.
- Curt