[Buddha-l] Fw: Buddhism & Alcohol

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Wed Oct 19 01:32:43 MDT 2005

In message <001901c5d3d2$a648a9e0$6900a8c0 at vic.bigpond.net.au>, Kate
<marshallarts at bigpond.com> writes

>Contrary to what one may assume, the monastic rules were not set down
>beforehand by the Buddha, but were developed from the living experience
>of the monks themselves.

Yes. In recent conversations I have had with our resident Geshe, this is
a subject that has occasionally come up. It indicates to me that no rule
was absolute but that they arose contingently with monks' behaviour that
the Buddha deemed inappropriate. I tend to see the majority of teachings
in this way - antidotal rather than prescriptive. First, one appreciates
the problem (or perhaps experiences it).  Then one takes the appropriate
countermeasure.

--
Metta
Mike Austin