[Buddha-l] on eating meat

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Oct 20 05:51:49 MDT 2005

I consider "little rituals" like that part of the folkways of Buddhism.
There is a "little ritual" that Korean Buddhists sometimes perform when
killing a bug - you say "Ji Jang Bosal" and then, well, splat, and then
"Ji Jang Bosal" a few more times. "Ji Jang Bosal" is the Korean name for
Kshitigharba Bodhisattva - who, at least in Korean Buddhism, acts as a
"psychopomp" during the transition between lifetimes. The interesting
thing is that one says "Ji Jang Bosal" not for one's own sake, but for
the bug's sake. Chanting "Ji Jang Bosal" is considered a way to help
someone who has died to have a "good" incarnation next time around.

Also, once a student of Seung Sahn (the Korean Zen Master) accidentally
ran over a racoon while driving. The student was very upset and Seung
Sahn consoled him by saying "if you chant Namu Amita Bul seven times the
racoon will come back as a monk", or something like that (the idea being
that going from racoon to monk would be a good thing). "Namu Amita Bul"
is the Korean form of "nembutsu".

- Curt