[Buddha-l] on eating meat

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Thu Oct 20 08:42:27 MDT 2005

Hi curt,

> The interesting
> thing is that one says "Ji Jang Bosal" not for one's own sake, but for
> the bug's sake. Chanting "Ji Jang Bosal" is considered a way to help
> someone who has died to have a "good" incarnation next time around.

It goes back quite a bit so I am not sure I remember exactly, but you
were to recite the mantra a couple of times, breath over the meat that
you were about to eat and click your fingers once, imagining that the
consciousness of the dead animal would fly away to Amitabha's world.
Perhaps a remainder of animism? (you must have read something about it
Curt ;-))

There probably also is a link with the tantric practice of "grol ba"
(liberation: "the forceful and compassionate transfer of the
consciousness of a sentient being (including humans) to a higher level
of existence")

Joy