[Buddha-l] on eating meat

Hugo eklektik at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 08:48:21 MDT 2005

Hello Joy,

On 10/20/05, Joy Vriens <joy.vriens at nerim.net> wrote:
> When I was still a monk I was taught a little ritual and a mantra that
> would purify the negative karma accumulated by eating meat, which is
> perhaps an indirect answer to your question.

Rites and rituals is one of the fetters that have to be broken:

1. Sakkaya-ditthi is translated as "personality belief". This is the
belief that we are solid beings, which leads to the illusion of a
separate self, egoism, or individuality. This is a major obstacle to
spiritual progress. Not only are we attached to the idea of self, we
even glorify it. Conceit, arrogance, pride, self-abasement. Attachment
to idea of "I" is fundamental to all problems; we defend the idea of
I, we seek to cherish I, make a fuss of it. It is difficult to be
entirely free from idea of self (Anatta), but at least do not take the
five aggregates as self.

[...]

3. Silabbataparamasa means "adherence to wrongful rites, rituals and
ceremonies"...in the mistaken belief that purification can be achieved
simply by their performance. Examples are the extreme ascetic
practices condemned by the Buddha. Also at that time, the Brahmins had
developed very complicated rituals which only they could carry out and
which meant that the rest of the population had to ask the Brahmins
for perform all the religious ceremonies on their behalf. "Oneself is
one's own master. Who else can be the master?" (Dhp. v. 160).

Source: http://sped2work.tripod.com/fetters.html

Also:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an10-013.html
Anguttara Nikaya X.13
Sanyojana Sutta
Fetters

"There are these ten fetters. Which ten? Five lower fetters & five
higher fetters. And which are the five lower fetters? Self-identity
views, uncertainty, grasping at precepts & practices, sensual desire,
& ill will. These are the five lower fetters. And which are the five
higher fetters? Passion for form, passion for what is formless,
conceit, restlessness, & ignorance. These are the five higher fetters.
And these are the ten fetters."

--
Hugo