[Buddha-l] karma?

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Thu Oct 20 09:20:29 MDT 2005

In a message dated 10/20/2005 9:52:49 A.M. Central Standard Time,
parisjm2004 at yahoo.com writes:

I can  see karma as relating to something physical. I get angry - it's
not good  for me or, perhaps, what I'm angry at. I do something good -
it's good for  me and others. Fine.
======
That is all karma is. Proximate karma means that it is not good for you at
that moment. Future karma means it has a future negative effect on you.

What need is there for the term "karma?" Is it only because of  the
doctrine (dogma?) of reincarnation? Or is this an example of  getting
carried away with metaphysics?
=====
The need for karma as a doctrine is to focus us on doing right. We don't  get
away with anything. Start doing a lot of little things right and its effect
builds over time.

First, reincarnation implies that a soul keeps on after death. This is not
Buddhism. The Buddhist use of the word "rebirth" means that inclinations go on
from moment to moment. Some Buddhist think this rebirth only applies after
physical death. Many others such as myself believe that this rebirth is from
moment to moment, right now, right here. What happens after physical death is
unknown and getting carried away with metaphysics, as you say.

What if one doesn't find reincarnation - or any afterlife -  tenable? Is
one a Buddhist, then

Many Buddhists believe belief in rebirth is not necessary to be a  Buddhist.

Jack