[Buddha-l] Re: on eating meat

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Thu Oct 20 11:34:44 MDT 2005

Andrew Skilton wrote:

> Lucky kids!  Don't you think there was a time not so long ago, when you too
> would have been considered mad! Talking to your children!!

I made myself a rule that I would systematically try to answer all their
Why questions, without ever qualifying them as as silly or not
important. That's a hell of lot of work and often I have to admit I
don't know or add lots of disclaimers! So now they are not afraid to ask
anything or even to question anything.

> It it a further measure of my 'madness' that I think I read recently that tests
> have shown some dogs able to recognise a vocabulary of several hundred words?

That's interesting, I expect that means they recognise a vocabulary of
several hundreds human words, many of which probably concern "things"
that are objects for humans, but not necessarily for them? Didn't
Wittgenstein say that if a lion could speak our language we wouldn't
understand him?

Joy