[Buddha-l] On being andogynous

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Oct 21 09:29:51 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 09:19 +0200, Joy Vriens wrote:

> I hope it won't be a cause for diction envy.

Don't forget what's mightier than the sword. The pen is.

Say, Joy, do you remember our old friend Kevin, the Genius? He was
haunting buddha-l about ten years ago. His mission was to cleanse the
list of all the pseudo-buddhist elements (of which I was one in
particular need of being purged). It was obvious after a while that he
just was not going to engage in any kind of discussion with me, so I
invented a new identity, just for the sake of debating him. The name I
chose was my paternal grandfather's first name and my mother's maiden
name, so I signed on as Cary Schooley. It was obvious to me that Cary
Schooley was a fellow, but about half the list thought Cary was a female
graduate student. Rumours began to fly that this Cary Schooley was
having a wild affair with Professor Hayes. I think you were one of the
first to catch on that Cary was none other than moi, El Coyote. One of
the funniest things to emerge from that experiment in virtual shape-
shifting was that a well-known professor of Buddhism, whose name shall
remain undisclosed, began to write Cary a flurry of very flirtatious
missives. (I've been blackmailing him ever since, which explains how I
can manage to live on a meager professor's salary.) It was an eye-
opening experience for me in that it gave me some insight into all the
crap women have to put up with from predatory old men. (I'm an old man,
but I'm in the post-dating phase of life, not the predating phase.)

--
Richard