[Buddha-l] On being andogynous

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Fri Oct 21 11:10:31 MDT 2005

Richard wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 09:19 +0200, Joy Vriens wrote:
>

>>I hope it won't be a cause for diction envy.
>

> Don't forget what's mightier than the sword. The pen is.

pen is
pen i
pen im
pen i
pen es
pen ium
pen ibus
pen es
pen ibus (trying desperately to keep it up, the level of this message
that is)

Anyway I guess we'd have to say that the tv is mightier than the sword
nowadays.

  > Say, Joy, do you remember our old friend Kevin, the Genius? He was
> haunting buddha-l about ten years ago. His mission was to cleanse the
> list of all the pseudo-buddhist elements (of which I was one in
> particular need of being purged).

Ten years already? Yes I remember him and his friend Quinn. It's when
you tried to create a schism between them (with some success) that they
finally left. I have never understood what their mission was, but they
went on about *the* Truth and Reason and they were very much into
Kierkegaard.

> It was obvious after a while that he
> just was not going to engage in any kind of discussion with me, so I
> invented a new identity, just for the sake of debating him. The name I
> chose was my paternal grandfather's first name and my mother's maiden
> name, so I signed on as Cary Schooley. It was obvious to me that Cary
> Schooley was a fellow, but about half the list thought Cary was a female
> graduate student. Rumours began to fly that this Cary Schooley was
> having a wild affair with Professor Hayes. I think you were one of the
> first to catch on that Cary was none other than moi, El Coyote.

They say it takes one with a big diction to recognise one with a big
diction. Wasn't this Cary traveling all around the world visiting
various list members at one point and wasn't she a bit flirtatious herself?

> One of
> the funniest things to emerge from that experiment in virtual shape-
> shifting was that a well-known professor of Buddhism, whose name shall
> remain undisclosed,  began to write Cary a flurry of very flirtatious
> missives. (I've been blackmailing him ever since, which explains how I
> can manage to live on a meager professor's salary.) It was an eye-
> opening experience for me in that it gave me some insight into all the
> crap women have to put up with from predatory old men. (I'm an old man,
> but I'm in the post-dating phase of life, not the predating phase.)

I'm sure that if this professor is old now, he won't mind you mention
him. It will make him feel young again and he'll probably have a hearty
laugh about it himself. It might even boost the sale of his books. Come
on, be a sport.