[Buddha-l] Re: "Nature" and eating meat

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Wed Oct 26 01:09:15 MDT 2005

Zelders.YH wrote:

> Next to those bloody clothes in the old exposition - (clothes from
> missionaries killed in China during the Boxer Uprising) - there was a
> small bronze Omito Fo-statue with a yellowed card that read "Pagan Idol
> from Heathen Temple" ("Afgodsbeeld uit heidensche tempel"). That was
> only twenty years ago. Nice to be so unexpectedly reminded of it on
> Buddha-l.

It was probably my first visit of a museum (40 years ago) and a case of
love at first sight. So wonderfully heteroclite and politically
incorrect (the museum guide's website describes it as "a sort of museum").

http://www.steyler.nl/html_nl/08_2_voelkerkunde.htm
http://195.202.176.112/freinademetz/Ausstellung/tafel11.htm

The Austrian missionary Freinademetz, who adored China and the Chinese,
said he was ready to die a thousands deaths for this country and that
even after his death he wanted to stay in the Chinese quarter in Heaven.
And linking this to a recent discussion on Buddha-L, he also was of the
opinion that a religion can not be reduced to the practice of it
  „Dass doch die Europäer durch ihr schlechtes Beispiel immer die Feinde
des Christentums sein müssen !"