[Buddha-l] Korean monastic architecture

Michael J. Wilson michaeljameswilson at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 04:47:17 MDT 2005

Alex,

I think the movie your daughter was watching was Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, or at least had the four seasons in the title.  I visited dozens of temples while living in Korea for almost 4 years.  To begin with, the temple in that movie was floating in a small lake and none like that exist in Korea, or else I would have read about it in Lonely Planet or somewhere and there would have been bus tours there because it would be quite a unique temple.  Most Korean temples are secluded in the mountains beside clear running streams and pine trees, even the ones found in cities.  There is a moderately famous temple in Korea called "Floating Rock" temple, but it is in the mountains and the floating rock surrounds a story of how a renowned buddhist brought some teachings from China (and possibly a Chinese princess who followed him to learn Dharma who turned into a dragon and eventually the rock but my memory of that story is a little hazy).  The temple in the movie is a fiction, in k!
 eeping
 with the slightly bizarre story of strange karma it unfolds.  As for the rooms being divided by curtains or invisible walls, temple spaces in Korea are almost always of the the one space - no walls variety - especially the small ones - and the one in this movie was small. I remember someone in my immediate Korean family commented on the walls when I asked if monks slept in the temples with room dividers like curtains but I can't remember the response.  It looked highly unusual to me.  For a while in the movie, a young woman sought refugee in the temple and slept in the same temple space with the monk, divided by this curtain - which I interpreted as being  symbolic of celibacy.  Even when the women returned years later to leave her young son with the temple monk, the boy monk and the temple monk slept in the temple space with the room divider curtain.  Your standard Son (Zen) monks slept in a one room space on the undul (heated floor) with no room dividers of any sort. Once!
  again, a
 lot in this movie was metaphorical in order to tell the story of twisted karma - at least that is how I saw it.

While on the subject of Korean movies, I can go to the local Blockbuster and find dozens of them - mostly of the horror varierty - quite impressive for a small splittist nation.  For true horror I recommend "Phone" - but advise that you don't watch it alone.

Michael J. Wilson, (Canadian with no attitude, back bacon or tuques)

Message: 3