[Buddha-l] Nirvana

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Sep 28 09:12:57 MDT 2005

> This text obviously dates from after the primitive Buddhist teachings had
> started to be "systematised"

and

> I would be interested in seeing studies that look at Buddhist suttas with
> this sort of criteria.
>
> Joy Vriens
Yes: your point makes sense, and more critical analysis would be of
interest, but the problem is that dating of pieces of text is conjectural.
As I understand the issue, there is no persuasively demonstrable way to
precisely "date" canonical text. (Please correct me if I'm wrong about
this.) Linguistic analysis probably offers the only clues, if the linguistic
data are there.
Joanna