[Buddha-l] Nirvana

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Wed Sep 28 09:34:14 MDT 2005

Hi Joanna,

> Yes: your point makes sense, and more critical analysis would be of
> interest, but the problem is that dating of pieces of text is
> conjectural. As I understand the issue, there is no persuasively
> demonstrable way to precisely "date" canonical text.

As far as I know there isn't. I have to say I am not really interested
in dates, but I would find a history or a genealogy of ideas very
interesting. Not in order to discover the most probable genealogy but
just for the pleasure of it. E.g. I would also be interested to see the
results of a study of all suttas not being directly taught by the
Buddha, to see if there  are some recognisable lines of thought specific
to each sutta protagonist. It somehow seems to make more sense if there
were several teachers and sects right from the start of what later
became Buddhism.

Joy