[Buddha-l] On Dylan and Poetry (was "Greetings from Oviedo")

Jim Peavler jpeavler at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 29 13:55:21 MDT 2005

On Sep 29, 2005, at 8:55 AM, Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> True enough. I have never liked poetry much. I must admit I haven't
> read
> any since 1966, when I escaped from the hell of being an English major.

Well, I have spent most of my life studying poetry (along with other
things) and listening to music.
So perhaps I am not a Buddhist. But I have always thought that studying
poetry and listening to music could make a person a better person. In
fact, like Shakespeare, I have never trusted anyone who doesn't like
music.

>> A person who seriously asks of poetry, "why waste
>> the time trying to make sense" of it, makes a kind of category error,
>> treating poetry as argument.
>
> You are now begging the question. My point is, why waste time with
> anything that is not an argument?

I am sorry. I never argue.

>> Listen to Dylan because he moves you musically, or don't listen at
>> all.
>
> Thanks for the advice. I've been following it for years. Now explain to
> us why any Buddhist would listen to music for the purpose of being
> moved
> by it. This seems exactly the opposite of the advice to guard the doors
> of the senses (one of which is, the last I heard, the ear).

Could I have that big thick book of Bob Dylan songs that you left at my
house (if you are through with it, of course.) (Oh, and perhaps your
season tickets to the Popejoy Hall music series.)

Exit singing poetry.