[Buddha-l] On Dylan and Poetry

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Sep 29 14:24:41 MDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 13:55 -0600, Jim Peavler wrote:

> Could I have that big thick book of Bob Dylan songs that you left at my
> house (if you are through with it, of course.)

Yes, by all means. Consider it yours, if you want it. I haven't opened
it for years.

>  (Oh, and perhaps your season tickets to the Popejoy Hall music series.)

Unfortunately, I can't give that to anyone, because I let it expire. My
lovely wife and I both discovered that going to musical performances is
a very expensive way of not having much fun, so we decided to stay home
and read and talk to each other about what we are reading. She tells me
about Swami Ashokananda, and I tell her about exciting details of
Sanskrit grammar. Her end of the conversation is probably more
interesting than mine.

Next week we are going to join one of the many reading circles at the
Unitarian church, where the readings are the Unitarian sermons of Ralph
Waldo Emerson. He fascinates me, because I have always wondered how a
guy could get through any American high school with a middle name like
Waldo. We decided to pass up the reading circle that is working on the
books of Thich Nhat Hanh, and the other reading circle that is working
through the Course in Miracles. (Unitarians, it seems, will read almost
anything. I shouldn't wonder if there is a group feverishly studying the
influence of "Finnegan's Wake" on "Blond on Blond".)