[Buddha-l] Re: Panchen Lama

Baopiguy at comcast.net Baopiguy at comcast.net
Sun Apr 16 12:46:37 MDT 2006

Easy answer....NO!!! Religions are either seen as subversive (Falun
Gong) or are controlled by the state (Catholicism is under a Cardinal
created just as the Panchen Lama was). As for Buddhists, the temples
are all in terrible disrepair and the (mostly) very old monks have
nothing to do but sit and beg in front of the temples. When the
government asked me to help on their newest national treasure a few
years back and I was the only outsider invited to spend two weeks
with Dr. Sun Yat Sen's family, there was a "Temple of 101 Buddhas" in
Wuhan. It had 101 statues of the Buddha in every type od
incarnation....but was full of dust, the glass protecting the statues
was all broken...it was very sad. I asked if I could photograph the
statues and the abbot told me "NO." I asked if there was a book
anywhere I could buy with pictures of them....same answer. Madame Sun
was disgusted.

I have always wanted to have my picture taken in my full robes in the
Forbidden City, so when I was back in Beijing meeting with top
officials they set up a special tour for me.......I hid my robes in a
paper bag under my arm, and fortunately, had a translator/handler
assigned to me who developed a crush on me so I had more freedom than
most official guests. At the right place I asked her to take my
picture....she was shocked but could say nothing because of my
special status when I proceeded to put my robes on for the picture.
The Chinese people on the other side of the courtyard all began
clapping and cheering......it was very fulfilling. However, my
constant reminder of the inequalities in their country led to their
not inviting me back the following year to visit Tibet as they had promised.

I must admit my behavior was a bit strong considering I was singled
out as the only non-Chinese to help them with their project. For
example one night we had a huge banquet with third level officials
from Beijing and the governor of the province (who took me bowling in
two secret lanes hidden from the rest in the bowling alley). At one
point I asked how many of them had read the book by Mao's doctor
about his last days. Every one raised his or her hand......to which I
responded "You are all under arrest because that book is banned in
China." They thought I was Jay Leno and just laughed and
laughed....but I knew beneath the laughter they did not appreciate
the sentiment. I did things like this over and over. I'm surprised
they still consider me a friend of China, but have not invited me
back on their dime since.