[Buddha-l] What is the source of this story?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Aug 24 12:07:44 MDT 2006

For years I have been repeating various versions of a story I read several
decades ago. I cannot now find the source, although I have a vague
recollection that it came from a Chinese or Japanese Buddhist text. Can
anyone help me locate it?

\begin{approximation to story}
A minister went to the king of his country and said "Your Majesty, I'm afraid
I have some very bad news. Our spies report that there are citizens who are
saying negative things about you."

The king said "Are these negative things the people are saying true?"

"No, Your Majesty. They are false."

"Well, then," said the king, "There is no cause for worry. People are always
talking. If people are saying positive things that are true, that is no cause
for worry, for they are offering deserved praise. If they are saying negative
things that are true, then that is no cause for worry, for they are offering
helpful advice. If they are saying negative things that are false, that is no
worry, for they are simply mistaken. The only thing that would be a cause for
worry would be if they were saying positive things that are false, for then
one would be receiving undeserved praise."
\end{approximation to story}

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy