[Buddha-l] the existence of God in Buddhism

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Aug 24 14:46:05 MDT 2006

Yes true---but I was speaking of Buddhist and of cultural practice, not about the Pali canon. There IS a difference.
Joanna
  ===============================

  In a message dated 8/24/2006 11:22:48 A.M. Central Standard Time, jkirk at spro.net writes:
    They are expressing insider views. Western Buddhists usually express
    outsider views to the effect that Buddhism is not a religion, and that we
    don't pray to the Buddha who is not a god.
    If some of us prefer to pray to deities, that expresses views that are
    widely shared in some Buddhist cultures, and not in others.

    Isn't the whole thing relative to the cultures of practicers of
    Buddhism?---there is no one explanation that covers all cases.

  Since the Pali Canon says Buddha said he was not a God, it might be culture driven but contrary to what Buddha said. Inner and outer would not apply.

  Jack