[Buddha-l] secular religion

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Aug 25 16:57:54 MDT 2006

While it is true that the meaning of words is determined by usage - this
is quite different from saying that any old word can be used any which
way. And not only that, but there is such a thing as wanting to have
one's cake and eat it, too.

There is no doubt that secularism arose as a rejection of religion, pure
and simple. Secularists have made their bed and now they must lie in it
- which means they have to go to bed without any religion. Maybe after a
good nights sleep they'll reconsider - but only if they say their
prayers. Otherwise the boogeyman will get them - and no one will hear
their screams. Well, OK, we'll hear them - but we'll just turn up the TV.

- Curt