[Buddha-l] secular religion

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Aug 26 16:33:04 MDT 2006

On Friday 25 August 2006 16:57, curt wrote:

> There is no doubt that secularism arose as a rejection of
> religion, pure and simple.

That is not quite the case. As I mentioned earlier, the first
occurrence of the word "secular" was in the Catholic church. It
arose not as a rejection of anything, but as a way of supplementing
what already existed and was expected to continue existing. Secular
priests were those who took on pastoral duties. They are still so
called. And there are many religious organizations around today who
see a great deal of value of being secular, in the sense of being
engaged in the world as opposed to withdrawing from the world.

For at least thirty years I have argued that there is much to be
said for secular Buddhism. A lot of Buddhists apparently agree with
me, although they often use the phrase "engaged Buddhism," by which
they plainly mean exactly the same thing as I mean when I speak of
secular Buddhism.

While I agree with you that usage is of more weight than etymology
(yogaad rudhir baaliiyas, as the classical Indian grammarians put
it), it must be acknowledged that usage itself varies quite a lot.
Not only does in change over time, but even at the same time one
can find some using a term one way while others use it another. As
anyone who has learned from Nagarjuna or any other Indian Buddhist
thinker knows, nothing in language is permanent and fixed, and only
the pig-headed would insist that a given word must be used in only
one way. Some people evidently use the word "secular" in such a way
as to make the secular the antithesis of religion; Eric reports
that he uses the word that way. Other people see being secular as
one of the many ways of being religious. I fall into that camp.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy