[Buddha-l] Pudgalavada - Vasumitra

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 7 04:27:40 MST 2006

Dan,

The Pali seems to be generally channaagaarika 'possessing hidden abodes'.

I am not sure if .Sa.n.dagirika is actually attested in an Indic
language. Note that the only way to move between cha- in Pali and
.sa- in Sanskrit is if the initial element is understood as
equivalent to .sa.t 'six'. This is because the development is
anomalous (.sa.t may be from an older k.sa-). However, an equivalence
to Sanskrit .sa.n.na(a)garika 'belonging to six cities' or (more
probably) a mistaken back-formation from a vernacular is possible.
That could then easily become .Sa.n.dagirika or similar.

Most likely of all:
Vasumitra invented this school either out of thin air or on the basis
of some vague recollection to bring the number up to 18. Everybody
else is following him. No views are ever attributed to this school ?

>>  .Saa'n.dagirikas (rendered Abiding in Hidden Forests by
>>Paramartha) would indicate this school consisted of hermits, who
>>would have had little use for the pomp and ceremony involved
>>in constructing steles and inscriptions.
>
>I don't think .Sa.n.dagirika can have this kind of meaning, although
>Paramaartha is giving exactly the kind of interpretation you would
>get in a commentary. Rather, .Sa.n.dagiri will be the name of a
>monastery.
>
>.sa.n.da = group of trees (=forest)
>giri = mountain, elevation, hill, high ground
>
>That's clearly how Xuanzang understood it (Hidden in Forest and
>Mountains). Both Paramartha and Xuanzang add the "hidden".
>
>I'm not sure how one can determine whether this is the name of a
>monastery or a characterization of the group without additional data.
>
>Dan

Lance