[Buddha-l] Pudgalavada - Vasumitra

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.plus.com
Thu Dec 7 07:13:09 MST 2006

Dear Dan / Lance,

Here are a few modifications / corrections to Dan's translation of
Vasumitra.

DL/X: If the bonds (saṃyojana) are eliminated by cultivation (bhāvanā-mārga)
in the kāma-dhātu, one is called "free from desire." They aren't eliminated
in darśana (-mārga).
SH/X: If one eliminates the bonds [associated with] the kâma-dhâtu to be
eliminated by cultivation (bhāvanā-prahātavya), one is said to be "free from
desire", but not in the case of those to be eliminated by seeing
(darśana-prahâtavya).

DL/P: The bonds (saṃyojana) associated with the kāma-dhātu are negated
through the bhāvanā-mārga. If a person is able to eliminate (them), then he
attains "elimination of desire." If they are negated through the
darśana-mārga in the kāma-dhātu, then it is not as good as that.
SH/P: As for the bonds (saṃyojana) associated with the kāma-dhātu to be
eliminated by the bhāvanā-mārga, when a person has eliminated them, he
attains the "elimination of desire". This is not so in the case of those
associated wuth the kāma-dhātu which are to be eliminated by the path of
seeing.

> The third item, in Chinese, is xiang, an infamously multi-semantic term,
> which can be used
> to render lakṣaṇa, ākāra, nimitta, liṅga, etc.
It's not nimitta or âkâra at all. The "xiang" here is the wrong character --
it should be the "sa.mj~naa" xiang ! See Thien Chau p90 and corresponding
Chinese for details.  [NB for Lance: I am referring to the English
translation of "Literature of the Personalists"]

DL/P: If one takes cessation to be collected/categorized with them, then
generally there are six types (?).
SH/P If one subsumes them under cessation, there are six types in total.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge