[Buddha-l] Pudgalavada

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.plus.com
Tue Dec 12 16:26:14 MST 2006

Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> It's titled "The Road to Buddhist Salvation as described by Vasubhadra,"
> Journal of the American Oriental Society (JOAS), 87, 4, Oct-Dec 1967,
> 434-486.
Thanks for alerting us to this translation.  I'll try and get a look at it,
although possibly not this side of the New Year.

> But the Tibetan he cites lacks, as far as I can tell, anything in the
> place
> of "signs." It reads (I am adding the Sanskrit equivalents in
> parentheses):
>
> bzod pa (k.saanti) dang (ca) ming (naama) dang (ca) chos kyi mchog
> (dharmotthama = laukikaagrya-dharma) rnams (plural marker) ...

I have looked at the Tibetan translation of Vasumitra, which overall is
identical to Xuanzang as might be expected.  The above line in the Cone
Edition microfiche copy I have reads:

bzod-pa dang | ming dang | mtshan dang | chos-kyi mchog-rnams-la ...

having something for the "xiang".  However, the abbreviated "mtshan" looks
odd on its own in prose -- it should be "mtshan-ma" (nimitta) or
"mtshan-nyid (lak.sa.na).  Other editions might clarify this, but as I said
before, this does confirm that the "xiang" (sign) is correct rather than
"xiang" (sa.mj~naa).

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge