[Buddha-l] Thoughts on action in 2007

Gregory Bungo gbungo at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 28 08:20:37 MST 2006

Hi,

curt <curt at cola.iges.org> wrote:

>Individualism and Capitalism are mutually exclusive. Capitalism, as its
>name implies, is a social system in which only money is valued - and
>everything else is valued with reference to money. In such a soul-less
>society individualism is merely a marketing ploy to sell carbonated
>beverages.

Indididualism and capitalism are certainly different, but they can overlap.
In the graph with economic issues mapped horizontally, and social
issues mapped vertically, capitalism is on the right, and individualism
is on the bottom.  So they overlap in the lower right.  It's a simplistic
model, but there is some truth to it.

By the way, I'm not saying this to defend the excesses of capitalism.
I scored in the lower left on the survey.

Sincerely,

Greg Bungo