[Buddha-l] Thoughts on action in 2007

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Dec 28 08:51:28 MST 2006

On Thursday 28 December 2006 08:20, Gregory Bungo wrote:

> In the graph with economic issues mapped horizontally, and social
> issues mapped vertically, capitalism is on the right, and individualism
> is on the bottom.

As I understand the model, the economic scale represents a person's
willingness to have a government-regulated economy. The left welcomes
regulation and taxation, while the right resists it. Capitalism does not
occur on the chart as such. One can be a capitalist (that is, one who invests
in corporations) and still be far to the left (if, for example, one welcomes
governmental regulation of the corporations in which one invests). A number
of Buddhists I know are capitalists who welcome corporate regulation. I think
David Loy espouses a kind of governmentally regulated capitalism, as does
Peter Singer. (Loy is a Buddhist; Singer might as well be.)

> So they overlap in the lower right.  It's a simplistic
> model, but there is some truth to it.

Yes, it is simplistic, but at least it is less oversimplified that the
left-right and liberal-conservative false dichotomies. And it does seem to
have room for Buddhists,albeit mostly in the crowded southwest quadrant.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy