[Buddha-l] Re: rebirth

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Fri Jan 27 10:58:18 MST 2006

In a message dated 1/27/2006 11:43:21 A.M. Central Standard Time,
rbzeuschner at adelphia.net writes:

>  When I first went to see Khenpo Khartar Rinpoche, the first thing he
>  said to me is
> "Whether you believe it or not, there is  rebirth.
> Otherwise you could do anything you want with no  consequences."

This puzzles me. This seems to contradict  _pratityasamutpada_.  It isn't
restricted just to some possible  future life.

It is clear that every culture that does NOT have rebirth  as a part of
its cultural baggage will quite happily provide consequences  when you
rob, steal, or kill or act in ways which are anti-social.
When  you act out of ignorance, anger, or ego-centeredness, there seem to
be  consequences, many of them societal.
There may be psychological  consequences to hatred, anger, envy, and
confusion.

I cannot help  but conclude that Khenpo Khartar Rinpoche was mistaken, or
perhaps was  providing a teaching aimed at just one particular  person.

=======
Or, could the Rinpoche be referring to rebirth as being reborn moment to
moment as Buddhadasa Bhikkhu saw it. What happens after death could be just a
continuation of this moment to moment rebirth or it could be a fairy tale
without any evidence to substantiate it.

Jack