[Buddha-l] To whom should teachings be given

dvf at umich.edu dvf at umich.edu
Tue Jun 6 22:35:13 MDT 2006

Miriam Levering wrote:

> It seems to me, Dave, that you miss the specific meaning of the
> passage--only a >woman accompanied by a man (in the Indian social
> world, this would have been >her husband, father, brother, son) can
> be guaranteed not to be a prostitute or >a woman sexually active
> outside of marriage.

Miriam, thank you for your criticism. Your points are all well taken,
and I agree with what you have written. With what I said, I did not
wish to deny such a reading of that part of the passage.

However, there seems to me to be a difference between some passages in
the Dharmashastras, for instance, that are "ostensibly" geared toward
maintaining the "chastity" of the woman, and those found in Buddhist
monastic texts that are, again ostensibly, concerned primarily with
maintaining the chastity of the monk. Both texts do seem to draw upon a
common set of chauvanistic social beliefs and practices, and the
Buddhists do very little to question these common Indian social norms.

Do you think that the objectification of women in classical Indian
society, in which women were seen as property passing from patriarchal
family to family, is the same sort of objectification of women that
occurs in a monastic context, which portrays them as "sexually
insatiable" and a "snare for monks," as you note? They seem consonant
with each other but perhaps reflect some differing perspectives and
concerns.

Best regards,

Dave Fiordalis