[Buddha-l] Re: To whom should teachings be given (reloaded)

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 9 04:00:22 MDT 2006

Vicente Gonzalez schreef:

>So the point was the possibility of Mahayana arising as a Buddhist
>revisionism, as a way to maintain a teaching of a "positive"
>emptiness; which is a female notion of the truth. And here, the
>logical suspicion are the roots in some women Buddhist masters.
>
>Some thoughts?

I've no idea what you mean by 'positive emptiness', at least not in the context of Naagaarjuna. It might be appicable to the Shingon or Tibetan vijñaptimaatra or some tantric views, but not to Naagaarjuna. And why should this be feminine? Plato had a positive view on emptiness and so did the whole negative theology. Most of them were guys weren't they? Aristotle thought emptiness was just nothing, was he the real man?

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950