[Buddha-l] Literature written by the Buddha

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Jun 15 20:02:44 MDT 2006

The primary cannon of Buddhism (or at least a third of it anyway - the
sutta pitaka) is wholly and directly attributed to the Buddha. The catch
is that it was all spoken by the Buddha, handed down orally for at least
several generations, and then finally written down later. There were
some posts recently concerning the dating of the earliest datable
Buddhist texts - these were at least 2-3 centuries after the Buddha
died. Another minor detail is that the dates of the Buddha's life are
uncertain. Western Buddhist scholars tend to range over a period of
about 200 years for the dates of the Buddha's life - while traditional
dating within Buddhism ranges even more widely - and tends to push the
dates back even further. Traditional Buddhist dating goes back as far as
1000 B.C. for the Buddha - whereas western scholars are more around
500-300 BC.

But be careful. Buddhism is not a "religion of the book". For the most
part Buddhists do respect and hold worthy the Suttas - but these are not
taken as the beginning and ending of all wisdom. And traditionally the
Suttas, along with all other teachings, require explanation coming from
someone (usually but not necessarily a monastic) who has expert
knowledge derived from long years of study and practice, and possibly
based on unwritten oral instructions received from one or more older
teachers. One does not pick up (or download) Buddhist teachings, read
them through, and then just try to figure out on your own what it means
to you. Well, of course you could do that - but that would be

And then there's this: what the Buddha did others can do - in fact, the
Buddha's having done it makes it easier for others to do it. Especially
in Mahayana it is believed that there are many Buddhas (infinitely many,
in fact) - including "living Buddhas" that might be walking around near
you right now!

- Curt