[Buddha-l] Soccer mad monks too tired to take alms

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Jun 24 09:36:57 MDT 2006

Hi Joanna.

Good reply! But don't you think the Buddha taught that merit is gained by
giving in general - cannot cite any references off hand though.

JK----Yes, of course. But I was citing mae chi, not dana in general, OK? So
why change the subject?

I agree that Mae Chi are not given the same respect that monks are given.
They are ordained, though not fully ordained, not even ordained as a novice,
but 'lower'. I beleive they take the 8 precepts and are technically the same
as a layperson.

JK------Despite their taking the 8 precepts, just as laypeople do when they
go on retreat in a monastery, they are NOT ordained as monastics and never
were. Monastics take far more than 8 precepts, as I'm sure you know.

Also there is no evidence that the Bhikkhuni tradition ever reached
Thailand. But there is a movement in Thailand to establish the Bhikkhuni
tradition with 2 or 3 woman now being fully ordained Bhikkhuni including a
former professor of Buddhism Dr Chatsumarn Kabilsingh (who had published
many articles and books in English). Lets hope they succeed.

JK---Yes, Dr. Kabilsingh is one whom I was referring to in my previous
post--I coldn't recall her name, thanks for supplying it. She got ordained
either in China or Taiwan, I forget which and it really doesn't matter, so
far as the Theravada Thai sangha is concerned. In their view, she is a
renegade since the Thai sangha does not allow ordination of bhikkunis.
Joanna

Regards

Bankei