[Buddha-l] Re: The Buddha, an 'emotional weakling'? What are the "joys of living"?

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Sat Jun 24 16:26:15 MDT 2006

On Friday, June 23, 2006, John Whalen-Bridge wrote:

> Could  you  explain  more deeply about the _uposatha_
> precept against singing and dancing?

   Uposatha  days  are  specific  times  (six per lunar
month)  when  lay people take three additional precepts
usually  reserved  for  monks:  6)  the foreswearing of
perfumes  and  cosmetic adornments; 7) the avoidance of
song,  dance,  and  other forms of public entertaiment;
and 8) refraining from taking food after the noon hour.
(These eight precepts comprise nine of the ten taken by
novices.)

   Now  I'm  quoting  master  Sheng-yen  from  the Chan
(Mahayana) tradition:

           The  five  precepts  close  the  gate to the
        sufferings  of the lower destinies and open the
        way  to  birth in the upper realms of the human
        and  heavenly  beings (deva; tian). However, as
        they  stand, they cannot counteract and deliver
        one  from  the cycle of birth and death per se.
        By  actively  "restraining"  sensual  lust, the
        eight  _uposatha_  precepts  can  help shut the
        door  to  rebirth  itself,  opening  the way to
        liberation. The precepts of the novice and full
        renunciant go on to actually define the optimum
        path for achieving nirvana and deliverance from
        the  cyce  of  birth and death, the traditional
        goal   of  the  Hinayanist  arhat.  In  similar
        fashion,  the  bodhisattva  precepts  go a step
        further   to   set   the   parameters  for  the
        bodhisattva path of the Mahayana, the path that
        leads   to   the   supreme   enlightenment   of
        Buddhahood itself (Hoofprint of the Ox).

           Monks  and  nuns  take many precepts, one of
        wich  is to abstain from entertainment. Certain
        forms  of  entertainment  become  occasions for
        people   to   vent  their  emotions  or  moods.
        Obviously,  actor  vent  feelings  and emotions
        when  they  work,  as  does  the audience if it
        connects  with  their  performance.  That  is a
        primary function of entertainment.

           Home-leavers should not get involved, either
        as  performers  or as the audience. It may seem
        overly  strict, but there is a reason. The more
        someone  experiences  such activities, the more
        persistent  are the attachments associated with
        them.  A  person  may experience relief after a
        perfomance,  but  the catharsis is short-lived,
        and  soon  there  will  be  a  strong desire to
        repeat the process. In a sense these activities
        are addictive: the more you do it, the more you
        want to do it.

           Monks  and  nunds  should have as their goal
        leaving all desires behind. If they participate
        in  such  activities,  it will be difficult, if
        not  impossible  for  them  to cut off desires.
        Monks  and  nuns should use methods of practice
        and  conceptual  guidance  from  the  Dharma to
        lessen  and  eventually  eliminate desires. The
        precept  serves as a guideline and reminder for
        home-leavers.

           If  monks  and  nuns  are  not serious about
        leaving  desires  behing, there is no reason or
        need  to  leave  home. However, it is difficult
        today  to  avoid  all  forms  of entertainment.
        [...]

           If  getting  involved  in  entertainment  is
        unavoidable, a monk or nun should use expedient
        methods.  The  solution  is  simple with visual
        entertainment  --  don't  look. The solution is
        not  as  simple with sound. It depends on one's
        practice.  Advanced practitioners can be within
        range  of  the  sounds  and  yet not hear them.
        Home-leavers  in  situations  like this must do
        the best they can.

           [...]

           Watching   movies   and  engaging  in  other
        activities  like  this  can help to temporarily
        relieve   restlessness   or  other  moods.  Lay
        practitioners  are not required to abstain from
        entertainment.  Even if they decide to take the
        Eight   Precepts,   they  only  have  to  avoid
        entertainment  six  days out of the month. This
        gives  lay  practitioners  a  taste of what the
        left-home lifestyle is like. [...]

           I  would  encourage using different media to
        spread  the  Dharma,  but  for  lay people, not
        monks and nuns (Zen Wisdom).

   Now  I'm  quoting  Thich  Nhat  Hanh  from the Thien
(Mahayana) tradition:

           Aware   that   many   songs,  films,  books,
        amusements,  and games can damage body and mind
        and  waste precious time that could be used for
        study  and  practice, I am determined not to be
        drowned  in  these distractions. I'm determined
        not  to  read  novels,  look at wordly films or
        books,   or  seek  distraction  by  singing  or
        listening to love songs or other kinds of music
        that  cause  negative emotions to arise. I will
        not  waste  time  playing  electronic  games or
        gambling.

           When a novice practices this precepts, he or
        she  knows  that  chanting  and  singing Dharma
        songs  are  ways  of  practicing mindfuness and
        sowing wholesome seeds. But artworks that water
        seeds  of  sorrow, attachment, despair, hatred,
        or  craving can cause harm, and that is why she
        keeps away from them (Stepping into Freedom).

> My  supposition  is  that  Pali / elder Buddhism will
> consistently  disparage  singing and dancing, whereas
> mahayana  sutras  will  complicate  matters  and will
> ameliorate  monastic/ascetic  denial with a notion of
> pleasure-without-attachment.    Which    makes    art
> possible, again.

   In the Chinese Mahayana tradition, precepts are most
fundamental  and art is only accepted when it's thought
as  a  means to transmit the Dharma. Then, most of such
Dharmic  art  is limited to lay people (who are not yet
ready  to  leave  home--see Sheng-yen explanation about
five precepts above).

   Best wishes,

--
Benito Carral